I Bought a House in 2009 – How Do I File For the First-Time Home Buyer Tax Credit?

The IRS has released the form (IRS Form-5405) that will be used when you file your 2009 tax return in order to claim the $8,000 tax credit. Due to the new instructions, you’ll have to do a paper return in order to claim the credit. In addition, you’ll have to attach a copy of your settlement statement (the HUD-1) as proof of your purchase (sounds like a sales receipt, doesn’t it?!) Your CPA should be able to do all of this for you if you use one! Just make sure you bring them a copy of your HUD-1.

To download the form, you can find it here.

For instructions and details (both in English and Spanish), visit the IRS website.

If you’re thinking of buying in 2010 in order to qualify, read my
step-by-step guide of what you’ll need to do in order to qualify!