- Check the windows and doors for energy efficiency. It will help keep the home warm and save cost. Caulk any cracks to keep warm air in and cool air out.
- Inspect the batteries in the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector – or better yet just replace them all together.
- Consider getting your chimney cleaned if you haven’t had it swept in a while.
- Get your heating system checked out to make sure it’s clean and in working order.
- Reverse your ceiling fans.
- Turn on your humidifier
- Keep up with raking leaves as they fall, to avoid an exhausting job once they are all on the ground.
- Clean out the gutters and inspect the roof to help prevent winter weather damage.
- Remove hoses and shut off water in exterior pipes to protect against freezing.
- Replace exterior light bulbs and consider installing additional lighting if it’s necessary for the evenings that get darker earlier
- Seal your driveway
- Drain exterior hosebibs before the weather gets too cold